|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, dry powder, foam, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Finely dispersed particles form explosive mixtures in air.||Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Prevent deposition of dust.|
|EXPOSURE||See EFFECTS OF LONG-TERM OR REPEATED EXPOSURE.||AVOID ALL CONTACT!|
|Inhalation||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest.|
|Skin||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.|
|Eyes||Wear safety goggles.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered sealable containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Symbol: T, N; R: 45-68-50/53; S: 53-45-60-61
UN Hazard Class: 9; UN Pack Group: III
Suspected of causing cancer
Very toxic to aquatic life
Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-90GM7-III.||Separated from strong oxidants. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS-TO-BEIGE CRYSTALS OR POWDER.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 448°C
Melting point: 254 - 256°C
Density: 1.3 g/cm³
Solubility in water: very poor
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 5.9
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. Bioaccumulation of this chemical may occur in seafood. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
This substance does not usually occur as a pure substance but as a component of polyaromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) mixtures.
Human population studies have associated PAH's exposure with cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Card has been partially updated in January 2008: see Occupational Exposure Limits.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Chrysene (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 3, 1973) Chrysene (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 32, 1983)