TYPES OF HAZARD
|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE-FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPOSURE||AVOID ALL CONTACT!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Sore throat. Cough. Burning sensation. Shortness of breath. Laboured breathing.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! Redness. Pain. Burning sensation. Blisters.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer immediately for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Metallic taste. Burning sensation. Nausea. Abdominal pain. Vomiting. Diarrhoea. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Consult an expert! Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Severe marine pollutant.
Symbol: T+, N; R: 26/27/28-33-50/53; S: (1/2)-13-28-45-60-61; Note: A, 1
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: II
Toxic if swallowed or in contact with skin
May cause an allergic skin reaction
May cause damage to kidneys
May cause damage to nervous system and kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Separated from food and feedstuffs and hydrogen halides. Dry. Keep in the dark. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Well closed. Store only in original container.|
Physical State; Appearance
WHITE CRYSTALLINE POWDER.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Decomposes at 450°C
Density: 6.5 g/cm³
Solubility in water: reaction
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. Bioaccumulation of this chemical may occur in aquatic organisms. The substance may cause long-term effects in the aquatic environment. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
Due to lack of specific data on this substance, the information included in this card was derived by analogy with other mercury(II) compounds.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations