|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking.||Use powder, alcohol-resistant foam, water in large amounts, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Vapour/air mixtures are explosive.||Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Do NOT use compressed air for filling, discharging, or handling.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||STRICT HYGIENE!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat. Laboured breathing. Shortness of breath. Symptoms may be delayed. See Notes.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Pain. Serious skin burns.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||First rinse with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, then remove contaminated clothes and rinse again. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Watering of the eyes. Redness. Pain. Blurred vision. Severe burns. Loss of vision.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Burns in mouth and throat. Burning sensation in the throat and chest. Abdominal pain. Vomiting. Diarrhoea. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Remove all ignition sources. Evacuate danger area! Consult an expert! Personal protection: gas-tight chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Subsidiary Risks: 8; UN Pack Group: II
Highly flammable liquid and vapour
Toxic if inhaled
Toxic in contact with skin
Harmful if swallowed
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
May cause respiratory irritation
Harmful to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|NFPA Code: H3; F3; R0.||Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Fireproof. Separated from strong oxidants, strong acids and food and feedstuffs. Dry. Well closed. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS HYGROSCOPIC LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion. Serious local effects by all routes of exposure.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 48°C
Melting point: -83°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.7.
Solubility in water: miscible
Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 33.9
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.0
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.3
Flash point: <-37°C
Auto-ignition temperature: 320°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.0-10.4
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 0.15
|The substance is harmful to aquatic organisms.|
Do NOT take working clothes home.
The symptoms of lung oedema often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical observation are therefore essential.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations PROPYLAMINE (JECFA Evaluation)