|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames. NO contact with oxidizing agents or acids.||Use water spray, powder, alcohol-resistant foam, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 88°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 88°C use a closed system, ventilation and explosion-proof electrical equipment.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||AVOID ALL CONTACT!|
|Inhalation||Burning sensation. Cough. Laboured breathing. Sore throat. Symptoms may be delayed. See Notes.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Serious skin burns. Pain. Blisters.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain. Loss of vision. Severe deep burns.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Burning sensation.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Evacuate danger area! Consult an expert! Personal protection: complete protective clothing including self-contained breathing apparatus. Ventilation. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Wash away remainder with plenty of water.||
Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T+, N; R: 24/25-26-34-40-50; S: (1/2)-26-28-36/37/39-45-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: I; UN Pack Group: II
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GT1-I.||Separated from strong oxidants, acids, metals and food and feedstuffs.|
Physical State; Appearance
CLEAR COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 85-100°C (40% solution)
Melting point: 16°C (40% solution)
Relative density (water = 1): 1.19 (40% solution)
Solubility in water: miscible
Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 13.3
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.7
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.22
Flash point: 88°C c.c.
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 0.37
|This substance may be hazardous to the environment. Special attention should be given to water quality. This substance does enter the environment under normal use. Great care, however, should be taken to avoid any additional release, for example through inappropriate disposal.|
This card refers to the 40% solution.
The occupational exposure limit value should not be exceeded during any part of the working exposure.
The symptoms of lung oedema often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort.
Rest and medical observation is therefore essential.
Immediate administration of an appropriate inhalation therapy by a doctor or a person authorized by him/her, should be considered.
Card has been partly updated in October 2005.
See sections Occupational Exposure Limits, EU classification, Emergency Response.
Card has been partially updated in August 2007: see Packaging & labelling.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations