|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 86°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 86°C use a closed system and ventilation.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||STRICT HYGIENE!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat. Burning sensation. Headache. Nausea. Vomiting. Shortness of breath. Laboured breathing.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! Redness. Pain. Blisters. Skin burns.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain. Severe deep burns.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Burns in mouth and throat. Burning sensation in the throat and chest. Nausea. Vomiting. Abdominal pain. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: chemical protection suit and filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T, C; R: 24/25-34; S: (1/2)-36/37/39-45; Note: C
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Subsidiary Risks: 8; UN Pack Group: II
Toxic if swallowed
Harmful in contact with skin
Fatal if inhaled vapour
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
Causes damage to central nervous system and blood
Causes damage to nervous system and blood through prolonged or repeated exposure
Toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GTC1-II.
NFPA Code: H3; F2; R0.
|Separated from strong oxidants and food and feedstuffs. Ventilation along the floor. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS-TO-YELLOW LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion. Serious local effects by all routes of exposure.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 202°C
Melting point: 11-12°C
Relative density (water = 1): 1.03
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 2.4 (moderate)
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 13
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 3.7
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.0
Flash point: 86°C
Auto-ignition temperature: 575°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 1.0-?
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 1.96
Viscosity: 4.05 mm²/s at 50°C
|The substance is toxic to aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations m-cresol (JECFA Evaluation) m-cresol (SIDS)