|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Flammable.||NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking.||Use alcohol-resistant foam, powder, carbon dioxide. See Notes.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 49°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 49°C use a closed system, ventilation and explosion-proof electrical equipment.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water. NO direct contact with water.|
|EXPOSURE||AVOID ALL CONTACT!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Laboured breathing. Shortness of breath. Sore throat.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Skin burns. Pain. Blisters. Symptoms may be delayed.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Watering of the eyes. Redness. Pain. Burns.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Burning sensation. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Consult an expert! Personal protection: chemical protection suit, face shield and filter respirator for acid gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Ventilation. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: C; R: 10-20/22-34; S: (1/2)-26-36/37/39-45
UN Hazard Class: 8; UN Subsidiary Risks: 3; UN Pack Group: II
Flammable liquid and vapour
Harmful if swallowed
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
Causes serious eye damage
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-80S1715.
NFPA Code: H2; F2; R1; W.
|Fireproof. Separated from food and feedstuffs and incompatible materials. See Chemical Dangers. Dry.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 139°C
Melting point: -73°C
Relative density (water = 1): 1.08
Solubility in water: reaction
Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 0.5
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 3.5
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.01
Flash point: 49°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 316°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.7-10.3
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -0.27
Forms acetic acid when mixed with water.
Major fires must be extinguished with large amounts of water from a distance.
Card has been partially updated in July 2007: see Occupational Exposure Limits.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Acetic anhydride (SIDS)