|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. NO contact with hot surfaces or strong oxidizing agents.||Use powder, foam, carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective.|
|EXPLOSION||Vapour/air mixtures are explosive. Risk of fire and explosion on contact with strong oxidants. Heating will cause rise in pressure with risk of bursting.||Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Do NOT use compressed air for filling, discharging, or handling. Use non-sparking handtools.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! STRICT HYGIENE!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Sore throat. Weakness. Chest tightness. Shortness of breath. Dizziness. Nausea. Vomiting. Convulsions. Unconciousness. Symptoms may be delayed.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Artificial respiration may be needed. No mouth-to-mouth artificial respiration. Refer immediately for medical attention. See Notes.|
|Skin||EASILY ABSORBED!||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||See Inhalation.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Consult an expert! Personal protection: complete protective clothing including self-contained breathing apparatus. Ventilation. Remove all ignition sources. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in dry sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Symbol: F, Xn; R: 11-20/21/22-36; S: (2)-16-36/37
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Pack Group: II
Highly flammable liquid and vapour
Toxic in contact with skin or if inhaled
Harmful if swallowed
Causes serious eye irritation
May be harmful if swallowed and enters airways
May cause damage to blood through prolonged or repeated exposure
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|NFPA Code: H2; F3; R0.||Fireproof. Keep in a well-ventilated room. Separated from acids, bases, strong oxidants and food and feedstuffs. Well closed.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 82°C
Melting point: -46°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.8
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 1390 (very good)
Vapour pressure, kPa at 25°C: 9.9
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 1.4
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.04
Flash point: 2°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 524°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 3.0-17
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -0.3
Viscosity: 0.35 cP at 20°C
Specific treatment is necessary in case of poisoning with this substance; the appropriate means with instructions must be available.
Oxygen should be administered exclusively by specially trained first aid or medical personnel.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
Environmental effects from the substance have been investigated but none has been found.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Acetonitrile (EHC 154, 1993)