|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 101°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 101°C use a closed system and ventilation.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||AVOID ALL CONTACT!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear safety spectacles.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Sore throat.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: III
Toxic if swallowed
Harmful in contact with skin
Causes mild skin irritation
Causes eye irritation
Suspected of causing cancer
Suspected of causing genetic defects
Very toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GT1-III.
NFPA Code: H3; F2; R0.
|Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Separated from strong oxidants, acids, acid anhydrides and food and feedstuffs. Dry. Keep in the dark. Well closed. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS HYGROSCOPIC LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR. TURNS BROWN ON EXPOSURE TO LIGHT.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 238°C
Melting point: -15°C
Relative density (water = 1): 1.09
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 0.61 (very poor)
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 8
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 4.5
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.00
Flash point: 101°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 480°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 1.2-7
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 2.06
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
Health effects of exposure to the substance have not been investigated adequately.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is indicated.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations