|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! STRICT HYGIENE!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat. Headache. Nosebleeds.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.|
|Eyes||Redness. Burning sensation. Pain.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if powder.||Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Sore throat. Abdominal pain. Nausea. Vomiting. Diarrhoea. See Notes.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Give a slurry of activated charcoal in water to drink. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Consult an expert! Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Sweep spilled substance into covered sealable containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T+, N; R: 24/25-26-36/37/38-48/25-50/53; S: (1/2)-22-28-36/37/39-45-60-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: I
Fatal if inhaled
Toxic if swallowed
May be harmful in contact with skin
Causes mild skin irritation
Causes serious eye irritation
Causes damage to lungs, kidneys, liver and the cardiovascular system
May cause respiratory irritation
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Keep in a well-ventilated room. Well closed. Separated from food and feedstuffs. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS HYGROSCOPIC CRYSTALS.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Decomposes at 300°C
Density: 1.24 g/cm³
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 62
Vapour pressure, Pa at 25°C: <0.0001
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -4.5
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. The substance may cause long-term effects in the aquatic environment. This substance does enter the environment under normal use. Great care, however, should be taken to avoid any additional release, for example through inappropriate disposal.|
The toxicological information is the same for paraquat (CAS 4685-14-7).
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is indicated.
The symptoms of lung fibrosis (shortness of breath, laboured breathing) do not become manifest until several days.
Rest and medical observation are therefore essential.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
Carrier solvents used in commercial formulations may change physical and toxicological properties.
If the substance is formulated with solvents also consult the ICSCs of these materials.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations