Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Vapour/air mixtures are explosive.
NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. NO contact with oxidizing agents. Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Prevent build-up of electrostatic charges (e.g., by grounding).
Use foam, powder, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS!
Cough. Dizziness. Sore throat.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.
Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Rest.
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Do NOT wash away into sewer.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Pack Group: II
Fireproof. Separated from oxidizing materials.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.
Physical dangers The vapour is heavier than air and may travel along the ground; distant ignition possible. As a result of flow, agitation, etc., electrostatic charges can be generated.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating and on burning. This produces toxic and irritating fumes (sulfur oxides). Reacts violently with oxidizing materials, including fuming nitric acid.
Formula: C4H4S / SCH=CHCH=CH
Molecular mass: 84.1
Boiling point: 84°C Melting point: -38°C Relative density (water = 1): 1.06 Solubility in water: none Vapour pressure, kPa at 12.5°C: 5.3 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.9 Flash point: -1°C Auto-ignition temperature: 395°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 1.5-12.5 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 1.81
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is irritating to the eyes and skin.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.