|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Finely dispersed particles form explosive mixtures in air.||Prevent build-up of electrostatic charges (e.g., by grounding).|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! AVOID ALL CONTACT!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Sore throat. Cough. Burning sensation behind the breastbone. Shortness of breath. Laboured breathing. Further see Ingestion.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! Redness. Pain. Blisters. Further see Inhalation.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Wear protective gloves when administering first aid. Remove contaminated clothes. See Notes. To remove substance use polyethylene glycol 400 or vegetable oil. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain. Severe burns.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Burns in mouth and throat. Abdominal pain. Tremor. Convulsions. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T, N; R: 22-24-34-51/53; S: (1/2)-26-36/37/39-45-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
Toxic in contact with skin
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
Causes damage to central nervous system
May cause damage to the respiratory system if inhaled
Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|NFPA Code: H3; F1; R0.||Fireproof. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Separated from strong oxidants and food and feedstuffs. Ventilation along the floor.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS CRYSTALS WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion. Serious local effects by all routes of exposure.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 210.0°C
Melting point: 45.0°C
Density: 1.4 g/cm³
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 0.45 (poor)
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 10
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 5.6
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.00
Flash point: 113°C o.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 500°C
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 3.17
|The substance is toxic to aquatic organisms. This substance does enter the environment under normal use. Great care, however, should be taken to avoid any additional release, for example through inappropriate disposal.|
The symptoms of lung oedema often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical observation are therefore essential.
Isolate contaminated clothing by sealing in a bag or other container.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations