|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 85°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 85°C use a closed system and ventilation.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||STRICT HYGIENE!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Blue lips, fingernails and skin. Confusion. Dizziness. Headache. Shortness of breath. Weakness. Convulsions. Nausea. Unconciousness.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Further see Inhalation.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear safety goggles.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Blue lips, fingernails and skin. Dizziness. Headache. Laboured breathing. Further see Inhalation.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: complete protective clothing including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T, N; R: 23/24/25-33-50; S: (1/2)-28-36/37-45-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: II
Harmful if swallowed
May be harmful in contact with skin
Causes eye irritation
May cause damage to blood
Very toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Separated from strong oxidants, strong acids and food and feedstuffs. Well closed. Ventilation along the floor. Keep in the dark. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS-TO-YELLOW LIQUID. TURNS DARK ON EXPOSURE TO AIR AND LIGHT.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 203°C
Melting point: -30°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.99
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 25°C: 0.1 (poor)
Vapour pressure, Pa at 25°C: 17
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 3.7
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.00
Flash point: 85°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 480°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 1.1-6.6
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 1.40
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Specific treatment is necessary in case of poisoning with this substance; the appropriate means with instructions must be available.
The odour warning when the exposure limit value is exceeded is insufficient.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
See also ICSC 0341 o-Toluidine and 0343 p-Toluidine..
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations