International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) - Summaries & Evaluations
VOL.: 31 (1983) (p. 185)
CAS No.: 804-36-4
Chem. Abstr. Name: Hydrazinecarboximidamide, 2-[3-(5-nitro-2-furanyl)-1-[2-(5-nitro-2-
5. Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation
5.1 Experimental data
Nitrovin was tested for carcinogenicity in one experiment in
female rats by administration in the diet. The experiment was
inadequate for evaluation.
Nitrovin induces DNA damage and mutations in bacteria and
mutations in insects. There is limited evidence that nitrovin is
active in short-term tests.
No data were available to evaluate the teratogenicity of this
compound to experimental animals.
5.2 Human data
Nitrovin, a veterinary bacteriostatic and bactericidal compound,
has been used since 1952 as a growth promotor in chickens. Humans may
be exposed as a result of its manufacture and use in veterinary
No data were available to assess the teratogenicity or
chromosomal effects of this compound in humans.
No case report or epidemiological study of the carcinogenicity of
nitrovin was available to the Working Group.
No evaluation of the carcinogenicity of nitrovin to experimental
animals could be made. In the absence of epidemiological data, no
evaluation of the carcinogenicity of nitrovin to humans could be made.
Subsequent evaluation: Suppl. 7 (1987) (p. 68: Group 3)
- 1,5-Bis(5-nitro-2-furanyl)-1,4-pentadien-3-one, (aminoiminomethyl)hydrazone
- sym-Bis(5-nitro-2-furfurylidene) acetone guanylhydrazone
- 1,5-Bis(5-nitro-2-furyl)-3-pentadienone guanylhydrazone
- 1,5-Bis(5-nitro-2-furyl)-3-pentadienone amidinohydrazone
- Bis(5-nitrofurfurylidene)acetone guanylhydrazone
Last updated: 16 April 1998